I had an anonymous request for kidfic recs to prepare for S11e05 Ghouli. Although I go out of my way to avoid kidfic and familyfic (I sill have PTSD from my kids’ early years), I have read the odd one that stood out in my memory, so here they are. They’re definitely not fluffy fics as requested because I missed that bit and fluffy family fics especially make me spiral into never before imagined pits of despair. I appreciate an older William more, so these are some standout older kid fics:
- Dr Scully’s School for Exceptional Boys by Prufrock’s Love. [M] It’s a well written adventure with a shitload of angst, but has both M/other and S/other I think (but some memorable angry sex.) [72,000 words]
- And Ashes Fell From the Sky [M] by 2momsmakearight & piecesofscully. They even made me like Doggett, which I wasn’t sure was possible. [88,000 words]
- Mater Semper Certa Est [T] by jugglequeen, where Mulder takes Scully to a high school basketball game. [31,000 words]
- Reminiscence [T] by sunflowerseedsandscience. You might need tissues but in a good way. [26,000 words]
- I found the other one I was looking for. It’s Things Fall Apart [E] by ChaneenW.
I haven’t read it yet, butit fits my headcanon that Mulder couldn’t help but try to find William so I’ll have to read it to get my mind off that episode I just watched. I’ll be even more useless for the coming week waiting to see what happens next. [61,000 words] Now that I’ve read this you can scratch it as kidfic, but it’s a detailed look at the 3 years prior to the reboot, and is so close to my headcanon that it’s scary. It explains Mulder’s depression and Scully leaving in a plausible way, but in my head he finds William and keeps tabs on him from afar, never letting anyone know, and it doesn’t happen that way. Still very much worth a read and if anyone ever wants to write a fic of my hc I’ll love you forever.
- I really wish I could read Malibu Sunset’s Terra Firma series. [M] I’m trying to build up the courage to go there because it always comes up when I search for good stuff.
A few smut or adventure-baby-fics I’ve enjoyed (probably because the focus isn’t so much on William):
- Abandoned [PG] by ML [22,000 words]
- Intimacy Deux [M] by Mojo [87,000 words]
- 500 Days [M] by Noelle Leith/shannono [8,000 words]
- Without a Trace [M] by Spangle (AU S9 where Scully returns to work and Mulder stays home with William. Although married fic does nothing for me, I loved how she decided to go by the name “Mulder” professionally to stick it to Kersh.) [28,000 words]
- Still Still Still [M] by Tess & Jacqui LaVa, where Scully takes William to Canada at Xmas to meet with Mulder while he’s on the run. [17,000 words]
Most of these are longer fics, so if you only have a shot time, the couple that stand out are:
- William Fox by ameliaapond [G] M&S investigate a case in William’s home town.[5,400 words]
- Defnotmeyo’s amazing Goats!Mulder post-col bad-DD-photo-rebuttal fic [T], which doesn’t need an introduction now. [3,900 words]
Otherwise you can binge on kidfic at the Nursery Files at Mulder’s Creek. It’s a whole archive of baby- and kid-fic joy (and pain because this is the X-Files).
The Nursery Files are a rarity- an old-school archive that’s still being updated occasionally – but they won’t have a lot of reboot era fics. A good trick is to search AO3 and FF.net through google (remove FF.net if you just want AO3). I’ve started you with basic search terms but you can narrow it down to a particular type of fic with more keywords.
Good luck in getting a kidfic fix, I’m sorry it’s one of those genres that i can’t quite get into. Parenthood has scarred me.